The horrific events unfolding in our home, Australia, have forced us all to see and feel the pain of how things aren’t working. We can't help but feel that this is a look into our future if we don't, as a collective, start to make a change.
This isn’t just a terrifying time for Australia, it is for the whole world. This has highlighted what we need most - a home and to reconnect with it - and what isn’t working; the patriarch, lack of leadership, ego, political corruption and disconnect from our mother, Earth. Our Mother has been forced to show us what we are doing is not working by crying out and shaking us up in the only way she knows how.
To date, we haven't been able to rely on policy changes and leadership to offer strategy. We believe we must not just dig our heads in the sand and wait for someone else to solve our problems, but actively make changes as a collective and hold ourselves accountable for our actions every damn day. So, what can you do to help reduce your carbon footprint?
- Ditch meat and dairy. 30% of the total greenhouse gas emissions is from agriculture. If you can’t cut it out all together, be “eco-tarian” and try to eat more sustainably. Avoid beef, pork and lamb in particular. Eat more veggies, fruits, nuts and legumes. Small sustainable fish (sardines and anchovies) is your smallest carbon footprint animal protein. Avoid tuna and other large fish species like flake or barramundi. Switch out dairy for for vegan milks, cheeses and yoghurts.
- Fight food waste. More than one third of our food goes in the bin and it accounts for 11% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Become better at using everything you buy! Or donate, compost, ferment foods and freeze.
- Consume less. Avoid fast fashion. Quality over quantity
- Shop local produce.
- Opt to buy from eco-friendly businesses.
- Walk or ride more.
- When flying, always pay for carbon offset.
- Avoid plastics.
- Have a voice. VOTE for political parties with strong climate change policies.
- Reconnect with earth. Grow your own food and herbs. Opt for natural products you can make yourself.
- Switching your superannuation and banking over to a company who does not invest in fossil fuels can make a huge difference on your carbon footprint. If you are looking to find out more detailed information to make the correct choice for you, please check out the Market Forces website.
We have approximately 10 years for everyone to make changes before it’s too late.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog
What can we each be doing on an individual level in our own homes to assist and boost our own innate immunity to protect our family’s health? Here are 5 tips to help boost your immunity.
Nicotine, estrogen, testosterone, and certain pain medications can all be delivered through the skin through medicinal patches, gels, or creams. Why not vitamins and minerals?
Even the healthiest foods can be high in unwanted chemicals and heavy metals and unfortunately for us, eating them often can wreak havoc on your health.